Take a trip back in time...
Find us on FacebookFind Us on Twitter
Call Us 01502 518459

London Event - 9th & 10th July
July 11th 2016

East Anglia Transport Museum held a ‘London Event’ last weekend (9th & 10th July) in which the museum along with over 1000 visitors celebrated the 80th Birthday of their London Trolleybus 260 it was a great success with vehicles both old and new dated from 1903

The main attraction seemed to be the open top London County Council Tramcar No. 106 which is on a short term loan from Crich Tramway Village, this is the first time that East Anglia Transport Museum has ever had a vehicle on a short term loan purposely for an event, and the museum is very grateful to Crich Tramway Village for allowing this to happen.

“Seeing all 4 of our London Trolleybuses running in service together alongside our own London Tramcar 1858 and Crich Tramway Village’s open top LCC 106 Tramcar was an amazing sight”

London Transport Museum also brought along some very interesting vehicles a AEC K type, AEC Renown and a Fordson Tractor which was displayed alongside East Anglia Transport Museum’s own example; these are the last Two London Transport Fordson Tractors that have survived, so to have them side by side was very special  

There were also other many interesting visiting vehicles including a prototype Green line Leyland engined Routemaster (CRL4) with a body built by Eastern Coachworks in Lowestoft, Two standard London Routemasters, 1930’s Austin Cars, 1950’s ex London Transport RTW in the livery of its last operator, Stevensons of Uttoxeter and a Scania Metropolitan MD60

The Event also saw the launch of the latest vehicle to join the museum fleet a Leyland Royal Tiger Half Deck Coach, this is a unique vehicle that East Anglia Transport Museum are proud to have amongst their collection, it is the last remaining half deck coach of its kind – the body of which was built locally by Mann Egerton in Norwich is 1951

London Trolleybus 796 was also re-launched back into service during this event, this vehicle has been on long term loan since October 2010 from A.M.T.U.I.R (Paris transport museum) to the London Trolleybus Preservation Society LTD. 796 is the only London Trolleybus to ever spend time in Paris, it went to Paris in 1960 until it was taken to East Anglia Transport Museum on loan in 2010, in this time it has been completely stripped back to metal and re painted authentically

Like all open days at East Anglia Transport Museum visitors could ride on Trams, Trolleybuses and Narrow gauge railway with the addition of vintage taxi rides around the site a free vintage bus service to and from Beccles and Lowestoft along with a free park and ride service

John Crisp, Chairman of East Anglia Transport Museum said: “The museum would like to thank all those who attended, both exhibitors and visitors, who helped make the weekend a success. We would also like to thank First Eastern Counties for supplying the ‘Park & Ride’ vehicles as well as the Co-Op food store on Ashburnham way for allowing the use of their car park”

Attention now turns to our ‘Trolleybus Weekend’ on Saturday 24th & Sunday 25th September